Nagios dashboard...

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Aug 10 12:45:12 CEST 2009

Edgar Matzinger wrote:
> Hello list,
>> The thoughts is that C is a horrible language to use when creating a
>> web application. Effort is better spent rewriting select parts of the
>> UI in PHP. Ninja is one such effort. I'm sure there are others (Oreon
>> comes to mind).
>
>   well, I don't agree. And the load on a webserver using C CGIs is
> lower than using a interpreted language.

Not if the interpreter is embedded in the webserver, as is the case with
PHP. Then you save two fork()+execve() per invocation by *not* using a
compiled language. For long-running apps, C will beat PHP. For smaller
apps, PHP will beat C. For development speed and community hackability,
PHP beats C by several leagues.

> But, on the other side, PHP SSI's may be easier to maintain.

Umm... SSI's aren't necessarily involved. But yes, PHP is definitely
easier to maintain.

> Is there
> any roadmap regarding the conversion from C to PHP?

http://www.op5.org/community/projects/ninja is our site for the ninja
project. It's released as beta and so far about 2000 people have at
least downloaded it. We've had reports from about 15 of those 2000. It's
usually safe to assume that a project has at least 10 times as many
users as it has reporters, so I think somewhere between 150 and 200
people have at least tried it out.

> If you want to, I
> can (try to) create a PHP version of the dashboard...

I'd love it if you spent that time creating widgets for Ninja instead,
since Ninja already has a dashboard which can be customized with such
widgets. If you want to find a status.log parser, you should be able
to hack up the one in object_importer.inc.php in the merlin repository,
available from http://git.op5.org/git/?p=nagios/merlin.git;a=summary

HTH

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.