feature request clustering

William Leibzon william at leibzon.org
Sat Aug 1 20:05:38 CEST 2009

I think Ethan wants to concentrate nagios development at the core features
that everyone needs allowing others to build add-ons and plugins. Actual
setup of nagios in most places consists of the core nagios server and set of
specific addons that work for the environment nagios is being setup at. That
really has always been the strength of nagios that it is easy to create
monitoring plugins and that many are already available.

For clustering I'd personally also recommend DNX. I've helped with
development of that package when it was in early alpha (fixed several bugs
in XML parser and other places) and installed it year ago for large set of
monitoring servers. It works well although its still a lot more of a
development-level software then nagios is and it still has features missing
which I really would love to have. Specifically the two I want most is
embedded perl support for plugins that nagios itself has and capability to
assign sets of DNX servers for specific hosts (which would also allow it to
be used on remote network in place of nrpe), a patch to DNX is available for
this but is not well tested yet.

But it is very noticeable that two most requested features by users (as seen
at ideas.nagios.org) are clustering and performance graphing. I'm kind-of
sorry icinga people decided to do complete split because what I was hoping
to see is good open-source nagios-based monitoring super-package that would
include nagios at the core as well as such requested add-ons and larger set
of plugins all in one install for those who want to see a larger set of
features with nagios in one package. I know there are several commercial
monitoring products based on nagios that do this and to some degree they are
all open-source (as they are build on open-source packages) but they all
have very noticeable commercial interest in selling the package with support
in mind. I was really hoping to see a package that is more positioned as
open-source with development by users for users and less commercial by one
company in nature (although I'm well aware that supporting open-source
development is not easy and requires certain business initiative and some
commercialization or sponsors). I've been thinking of creating such package
myself for almost a year but doing it alone is hard and not very
maintainable considering my schedule. But if there are multiple (at least 3
volunteers needed for this to work, need not be all developers) who are
willing to participate (5 hours/week) and have places where such package can
be installed and tested, then let me know and perhaps we can put a team
together for new nagios-based monitoring super package.