Strange load average with Nagios 3

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Tue Apr 21 17:24:36 CEST 2009

We have a similar situation.  We restart Nagios daily to minimize scheduling
skew (which accounts for the load drops), we also often have to restart
Nagios during the middle of the day to accomodate configuration change
requests (the mid-day load drops).  Interestingly enough there is no
correlation between the increased load and increased memory usage at the
same time .. RAM utilization stays very stable irregardless of load.

I am at this point blaming myself for something not being right in one or
more of the plugins we use and wrote; most of our checks are SNMP-based
through perl plugins with ePN with a much smaller number of checks being
done via check_nrpe.  We do see Nagios zombies over the course of a day (4-6
or so) .. our restart script has to send a SIGKILL to those processes to get
them to completely die.

This wasn't happening on our previous box, which was a dual dual-core RHEL
5.2 box, though it was pretty overwhelmed with the 8000 checks and 1500
hosts, so might have been just hidden behind it being so overworked :p.

Current host:

Nagios version: 3.0.6
Dual quad core host, 16 GB RAM,  ~1500 hosts with ~ 8100 checks.
RHEL 5.1 64-bit

So it is interesting to see people having a similar issue with load, do the
rest of you also NOT see a correlation between memory usage and load or do
you see increased RAM utilizaiton?

- Max