Strange load average with Nagios 3

Yann Jouanin yann.jouanin.list at intelunix.fr
Tue Apr 21 11:09:40 CEST 2009

Hello everyone,

I noticed a strange behavior on our Nagios 3 monitoring servers. On the four
servers, the load average is reproduction a periodic pattern (every four
hours approximately) and the pattern look like a "roller coaster".

Here is an example on load observed :
http://www.intelunix.fr/nagios/load.png

Has anyone the same observation ? Can something in Nagios behavior explain
this load ?
Our servers are running different Linux distributions and we spot out the
fact that the pattern is certainly due to Nagios.

Yann Jouanin

http://www.yannj.fr