Possible bug in Nagios 2.12?

Steven D. Morrey smorrey at ldschurch.org
Wed Apr 8 23:49:23 CEST 2009

<snip>
Ah, no.  The really sensible thing to do would
be to wait only until all the blocking checks
are done (either just one of "too many", or
all other checks in the parallelization case).
Sleeping for a full second regardless of when
the blocking checks complete can waste time
between when the next plugin could run and
when it actually does.  And with enough checks
introducing these extra arbitrary delays, the
overall latency for the full set of checks can
easily creep up.
</snip>

Thats a good point, so the better thing might be to move that check to the end of the event_list and move the even_list right along.
I have some experimental code I'm working with.
If you put it in above the place where it goes to sleep, it should unblock the queue and let the other checks run.

			    //Move this event to the end of the queue so it doesn't block
			    if(event_list_low->event_type==EVENT_SERVICE_CHECK)
			    {
                    timed_event *this_event = temp_event = event_list_low;
                    event_list_low = event_list_low->next;

                    while(temp_event->next)
                    {
                        temp_event = temp_event->next;
                    }

                    temp_event->next = this_event;
                    this_event->next = NULL;

			    }

In my sources I placed it at about line 1112 or 1113 in events.c but YMMV since my sources have some extra patches and stuff in them that may have shifted the line numbers.

Let me know what you think.

Sincerely,
Steven Morrey