Is nagios core extendable?

Andreas Ericsson exon at op5.com
Tue Apr 7 15:37:48 CEST 2009

LadislavHavlik wrote:
> Hi everyboy,
>
> sorry for my poor English in advance.
>
> I have very simply question: Is core code extendable (I don't think GNU licence)?
> Let us say  I want "fork" and extend current Nagios version about:

You can do that, provided the resulting fork is still licensed
under GPL, the same as Nagios is today.

> 1. direct saving results into DB (not by using NDO etc..., but direct - ASAP but refllex possibilities
> DB and work node ~ such is latency, IOWait, busy Waiting, timeouts, etc...),

That would be stupid for a lot of reasons, not least of which is
that you'll have to maintain it separately forever and ever.

> 2. "predictive - modul", but no stnd. Nagios modul (this isn't
> good place for more explanation).

You're wrong. This is exactly the right place for more
explanation.

> Very short: Not concept "Event done then send message" but predicitve-statistically: "EVENT PROBABLY
> is able to occur then send message".

You can get at this information without modifying the Nagios
core. If you still want this to run in the core of Nagios, a
far better way of achieving that is to write an eventbroker
module.

> Have I got your suport for this solutions?

That depends on what you mean by our support. I won't write
it for you, but if it turns out to be a nifty piece of code
I might use it for something and then ofcourse I'll send you
bugreports and patches.

> Are these solutions correct?

Since you haven't created the solutions yet, that's impossible
to tell.

> What is your opinions on this?

That you should refrain from altering the Nagios core if you
can manage by getting the required data from other places,
such as by loading a module or writing a log-parsing program.

> Thanks for reply

You're welcome.

> Note:
> Sorry, but I have very good reason for this short info - no detail for more info.

That sentence doesn't really parse. Anyway, you'll find it hard to get help
from the community while you're withholding details about your project.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.