Really slow log2ndo

Benjamin Krein benk at aweber.com
Fri Sep 19 06:12:08 CEST 2008

On Sep 18, 2008, at 11:26 PM, Mikael Fridh wrote:
> Also available in standard ndo structure afaik:
>
> notifications Table
> "This table is used to store a historical record of host and service
> notifications that have been sent out."
>
> processevents Table
> "This table is used to store a historical record of Nagios process
> events (program starts, restarts, shutdowns, etc.)."
>
> downtimehistory Table
> "This table is used to store a historical record of scheduled host and
> service downtime."
>
> statehistory Table
> "This table is used to store a historical record of host and service
> state changes."
>
>>> My ultimate goal for using these log entries in the DB is to compile
>>> reports based on various metrics that are gathered by Nagios
>>> already.
>>> The basic trend reports in Nagios & things like NagiosGrapher are
>>> ok,
>>> but they aren't very flexible.  Pulling that data from the DB
>>> would be
>>> far easier, but not in the format it's in now.  As it is now, it's
>>> no
>>> different than just grepping files on disk.
>
> So far you've only been talking about the logentries table and it's
> format and I'm not disputing it's uselessness when it comes to
> reporting but instead I'm curious about what's wrong with the other
> tables in ndo and what they're missing (other than indexes for certain
> use cases of course).

Hrm.  This looks interesting.  I didn't explore these tables much yet
as I don't recall seeing log2ndo populating them.  I definitely see
these as useful going forward.  If log2ndo doesn't populate them with
historical data, though, that's frustrating.  I still need to look at
Andreas' stuff too.

Ben