Really slow log2ndo

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Sep 17 19:46:26 CEST 2008

Benjamin Krein wrote:
> Is there a reason log entries aren't split up into multiple fields in
> the NDO DB?  It seems kind of silly to put the entire log line in a
> single field when there are very clear delimiters in the line.

I agree. It would be far more sensible to use separate tables. One for
service checks, one for host checks, one for notifications, (etc, etc).

I imagine the current structure was designed to facilitate displaying
the entire log though. Your guess is as good as mine, as it was a long
time ago I took a look at the ndoutils code.

> I'm contemplating writing my own parser for the archived logs, but I'm
> tempted to modify the NDO code to make use of multiple fields.

If you're going to write your own parser anyway, you might as well
re-use the import program from the reports-module project. It should
provide a nice starting point, and the hooks used by the module gets
exercised as inserters so you know both ends work nicely.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se