OSX processor usage

William Preston nagios-devel at spidalinx.co.uk
Wed Sep 17 08:23:29 CEST 2008

Hi Jonathan, hi list

On  Sep17, 2008, at 06:26, saggau wrote:

> I ran into a (possible) bug in OS X 10.5.4, which I tracked-down to
> poll() never timing out in the cmd file worker thread on that
> platform.  It looks like poll() always returns 1, whether there is
> data on the pipe or not.  A quick fix that shouldn't break Nagios on
> other platforms and which doesn't require any configure checking of
> poll() is to manually pause if poll() returns 1 with an empty pipe.

yes, this is a known problem.
the continuous polling drives the load to 100%...

I posted a simple patch for this to
http://blog.netways.de/2008/08/15/nagios-unter-mac-os-x-installieren/
(the article is in german, but there is an english comment with the
patch).

@list:
I vaguely seem to remember there was a reason why select() isn't used.

Was this a solaris issue?

William