Hostname resolution errors on Mac OS X 10.5 with Nagios 1.x and 3.x

Jim Bala usrbin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 03:34:20 CET 2008

OS: OS X 10.5.5 Server (all updates applied; problem also occurs under 10.5.4)
Nagios: two instances on same machine, one is 1.8 and the other is
3.0.5 (transitioning from 1 to 3)

The really, really short version of this problem:

If I start, or restart, Nagios via cron or system startup scripts
during a boot cycle, no problems.

If I start, or restart, Nagios from a root shell -- and do not log out
of that shell, no problems.

If I start, or restart, Nagios from a root shell -- and then log out
after X minutes (where X, so far, is any value greater than 0) --
several service checks shortly begin to fail with invalid hostname/IP
errors.  They will continue to fail indefinitely, until Nagios is
restarted.  The problem cannot be reproduced manually, by running the
same check commands that Nagios is running; it happens only when
Nagios runs the commands itself.

The checks that are currently exhibiting this problem run on the
Nagios server itself.  Those that run on the remote clients
(regardless of OS X version) do not exhibit the problem.

It appears that "something" is happening to the daemonized process
after the spawning, tty-attached shell is terminated which causes some
DNS lookups to fail.  What that something is or why it's happening when
it shouldn't is beyond me right now.

Any suggestions or helpful wild-as_ guesses from anyone? :)

Thank you.

-Jim