Security issue

Arno Lehmann al at its-lehmann.de
Thu Nov 6 23:24:45 CET 2008

Hi,

06.11.2008 12:45, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> A couple of things to note:
> * Information disclosure is not possible. No remote user can see
>   anything from your authentication-protected Nagios servers.

I'm not sure this is correct... see what all the web 2.0 stuff is
about - javascript executes http queries, captures the output, and
does something with it.

I guess it's possible for a javascript in Dr. Evils pages to get the
cgi output without actually displaying it, and to forward the
information collected to Dr. Evils web server. Don't ask for a sample
exploit, please.

> * Invalid commands read from the FIFO are always dropped flat by
>   Nagios.
> * Since commands must be valid, it's not very easy to submit a
>   command that has all the information required. Social engineering
>   is required.
> * You *will* notice if this happens to you, since you all of a
>   sudden will end up with cmd.cgi (not in a frame either) saying
>   "Command submitted successfully" or some such.

See above - AJAXified web pages probably can prevent this.

> Hope that clears things up a bit.

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann