[Nagios-users] Bug in 3.0.2 with service escalation contact groups

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed May 28 09:28:26 CEST 2008

Mathieu Gagné wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Andy Shellam wrote:
>> The lines
>> you sent for the host escalation were actually for the host itself!  The
>> host escalation's contacts also had a space in the strtok() functions,
>> which explains why a host escalation wouldn't register "Andy Shellam" as
>> a contact name, but would recognise "NetServe Support" as a contact group.
>
> You are right. Sorry for this mistake.
>
> This however reinforce my statement regarding the inconsistency I found
> across the source code. Should the white-space be considered as a field
> separator or not?
>
> Somebody should verify the entire source and make sure the same behavior
> applies everywhere.

If you want something done, do it yourself ;-)

> Also, by removing the white-space separator, will this still work? (note
> the white-space)
>
> define hostescalation {
>      contact_groups    contactgroup1, contactgroup2
> }

It should, but if spaces are allowed as parts of object identifiers,
they must still be disallowed at the start and end of such identifiers,
or there will be no sane way to separate variables from values (unless
we force tabs there, which will break a lot of people's configurations).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se