Empty hostgroups ok, but not if services defined?

Marcus Fleige marcus.fleige at de.rhenus.com
Thu Mar 27 15:35:01 CET 2008

Hi Ethan, hi list,

i got a little problem with empty hostgroups in my config.
 From Nagios Version 3.0rc3 and up, empty hostgroups are
ignored by default. So far, so good, but when i define a
service for an empty hostgroup, i get an error:

Error: Could not expand hostgroups and/or hosts specified
in service (config file '/etc/nagios/hostgroup-templates/
services-hardware-accesspoint.cfg', starting on line 1)

Is it possible to circumvent this error? My initial idea was
to define a dummy host and make it a member of every hostgroup.
But i think this is not the most elegant way to deal with this...

Regards,

Marcus

just about anything Open Source.