RFC: Retry interval on hard states

Hendrik Bäcker andurin at process-zero.de
Mon Mar 10 21:16:09 CET 2008

Hi Tom,

Tom Sommer schrieb:
> Since this suggestion seems to have some backing, I thought I would
> forward it to the devel list.
>
> Note that several other monitoring systems provide the mentioned feature.
>
> The complete thread can be found in the users list.

> Subject: Retry interval on hard states
> From:    "Tom Sommer" <mail at tomsommer.dk>
> Date:    Fri, March 7, 2008 14:44
> To:      nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
>
> Hi,
>
> I wish to setup the following check interval:
>
> Check the service every 5 minutes
>   -> If down then check the service every 1 minute for 3 minutes/times
>    -> If still down, notify and continue to check the service every 1
> minute until it recovers.
>
> I'm having a few problems with the last condition. Basically once the
> notification is sent, Nagios seems to revert to the "normal" check
> interval, which is 5 minutes - resulting in a substantial delay for the
> recovery notification to be sent.
>
> My settings are:
> max_check_attempts 3
> check_interval 5
> retry_interval 1
>
> Did I miss anything or is the above simply not possible?
>
> Using 3.0rc3

You could solve your wish via an event_handler. Let it trigger an
external command to change the normal_check_interval.

More info see here:
http://www.nagios.org/developerinfo/externalcommands/commandinfo.php?command_id=109
http://www.nagios.org/developerinfo/externalcommands/commandinfo.php?command_id=110

Regards,