Front End Development

Jon Buys jonbuys76 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 22:21:57 CEST 2008

>  I have tried searched high and low for documentation regarding the way a
> Front End should communicate with Nagios 3.x  ( even 2.x ), but with no
> avail. If anyone has a site or a quick run down on where to start I would
> appreciate it.

I'm looking for the same thing.  It seems to me that parsing the log files
would be best until a decent broker is developed.  On a side note, does
anyone know how tools like the Nagios Firefox plugin get their information?

> A side note, I started by simply parsing the Nagios log files for the
> information I wanted, but decided that it may not be the correct way to do
> it and have halted at that point to research some better alternatives and
> methods.

Right, I'm thinking of doing the same thing.  I'd rather work slower and be
more stable than faster and be prone to crashing.  Also, I'd rather not
install anything else in my Nagios config, and be able to build a tool that
can read data from it "out of the box".

I'm developing a desktop application with ties into Nagios, any advice is
appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon