Parsing Compressed Log Files In CGIs

Caylan Van Larson i at caylan.net
Tue Jul 22 15:45:33 CEST 2008

Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> Caylan Van Larson wrote:
>
>> log_notifications=1
>> log_service_retries=1
>> log_host_retries=1
>> log_event_handlers=1
>> log_initial_states=0
>> log_external_commands=1
>> log_passive_checks=1
>>
>> Looking at these I'm wondering if I need any of these for the CGIs to
>> be effective in reporting...
>
> log_initial_states can be important, depending on your report
> settings.
> Assuming you don't restart Nagios all that often, it'll barely show on
> the disk usage.

Even though log_initial_states is set to 0 I'm still seeing CURRENT
HOST/SERVICE STATE entries on log rotation.

[1216702800] LOG ROTATION: DAILY
[1216702800] LOG VERSION: 2.0
[1216702800] CURRENT HOST STATE: hostname;UP;HARD;1;PING OK - Packet
loss = 0%, RTA = 32.58 ms

This data makes up the bulk of our nagios.log this morning:  495K out
of 550K (a far cry from the 20M we were seeing before I disabled a few
log_ events above).

If I understand correctly log_initial_states will do another one of
these "CURRENT STATE" dumps after each reload, effectively growing
logs by 500K each time?

Thanks,

Caylan