Parsing Compressed Log Files In CGIs

Caylan Van Larson i at caylan.net
Mon Jul 21 22:31:13 CEST 2008

Our log files grow to 40M each day and compress down to 4M easily. Our
goal is to keep a years worth of log files for verifying uptime to our
clients.

Are there any plans to build compression into the archival/cgi-parsing
process?

If not, what is the bare minimum logging that I can get away with and
still have decent trend/availability reporting?

log_notifications=1
log_service_retries=1
log_host_retries=1
log_event_handlers=1
log_initial_states=0
log_external_commands=1
log_passive_checks=1

Looking at these I'm wondering if I need any of these for the CGIs to
be effective in reporting...

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Caylan