Memory leak in NDOUtils 1.4b7?

Steffen Poulsen step at tdc.dk
Sat Jan 26 14:11:19 CET 2008

Hi,

After yesterdays luck installing NDO, unfortunately we experienced a
problem with our nagios process tonight - apparently related to a memory
leak in NDO.

We have put up a memory usage graph at:

http://www.forskernet.dk/nagios/ndo_memory_leak.png

As can be seen in the graph, after NDO installation memory usage for the
nagios process starts growing (from ~30mb to ~120mb / straight line).

At this point a restart of the nagios process is triggered, but
afterwards processing just halts. We tried to wake it up, restarting it
a few times - but the flow of checks had stopped and we had no luck
restarting it (external commands appeared to be processed OK, but no
passive checks showed up in performance info).

After removing NDO, things are back to normal.

A regular performance view for the process is like this (40k+ passive
checks/5 min):

Check Statistics:
Type Last 1 Min Last 5 Min Last 15 Min
Active Scheduled Host Checks 0 0 0
Active On-Demand Host Checks 0 0 0
Parallel Host Checks 0 0 0
Serial Host Checks 0 0 0
Cached Host Checks 0 0 0
Passive Host Checks 0 0 0
Active Scheduled Service Checks 0 1 3
Active On-Demand Service Checks 0 0 0
Cached Service Checks 0 0 0
Passive Service Checks 8747 43064 129047
External Commands 8984 43301 129287

Buffer Usage:
Type In Use Max Used Total Available
External Commands  0 2476 81920

We are running Solaris SPARC, Nagios v3.0rc1 and NDOUtils v1.4b7.

I haven't seen other reports mentioning this, but if this is a known
error, excuses in advance. Actually, also as I'm writing this now I am
getting aware that NDOUtils is mentioned as compatible with 3.0b6 only
(at the Nagios download page) - I hope it should be OK to run NDOUtils
with rc1(?).

Best regards,
Steffen Poulsen

--