thoughts about a SQL backend, and an issue tracker...

Einar Indridason einar.indrida at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 12:40:09 CET 2008

Good day.  I have had some idle thoughts lately about Nagios.  I don't know
if they make sense, or whether they are have already been rejected.

1) Does Nagios have a bug-tracker of some kind, so if a bug is submitted, it
can be checked if it exists already, and/or has been fixed?  (Bugzilla, or
Trac, or something like that?)

2) Would it make sense to have a (another) nagios-daemon, which clients
would connect to, and ask for info, instead of having to read and parse "
status.dat" (and other *.dat) files for every client that wants to get some
infos.  For example:  echo "GET hosts -down" | telnet
nagios.host.example.com 5665, or echo "GET services -flapping -down" |
telnet nagios.host.example.com 5665
(possible issue here would be authentication / authorization)

3) Would it make sense to switch the data files and/or config files from
being flat text files, into SQL tables?  (For example, by using the
embeddable SQLite?)  (If yes, having the possibility of using different SQL
databases would be a bonus.  SQLite on a ramdisk, for example, versus
PostGreSQL versus MySQL (versus DB2) (versus Oracle)

4) Would it make sense to change both services and hosts into "containers"?
As in:  "Our network has those following containers:  (list of routers,
switches, hosts, hostgroups)  Some of those containers, have other
containers:  (The router for building B is a "master" for building B.  It
also connects some switches in building B with some hosts in building B).
Some of those sub-containers have other containers:  (the switch in building
B is connecting some hosts - those hosts have some sub-systems running).
Some of those sub-systems consists of several services, like:  webserver-1,
webserver-2, database-1, database-2, firewall accesslist, etc....

Two thumbs up for Nagios :-)

Cheers,
--
EinarI