Nagios v3 minor fixes - fast startup / addressx / flapping / timeperiod templates

Steffen Poulsen step at tdc.dk
Wed Jan 16 21:22:57 CET 2008

> If I create a precache object file (nagios -pv) and compare
> it to the object.cache (same config, created with "nagios
> -d"), it match but the date in the commented header. However
> if I activate it (nagios -xud) the objects.cache gets all
> reversed and objects are shown in reverse alphabetical order
> in the cgi. I won't have much use for that yet, but I tried
> it that's my results (i guess that's not expected)...

We started running with fast startup recently as well and noticed this
behaviour with reverse sorting also (rc1). Glad to hear it is not only
us seeing this :-)

Another thing we have noticed with fast startup is that the nagios
service stop processing entirely when the first service starts flapping
(we have had to disable flapping detection for now).

And a third thing while I'm remembering: Setting up notifications (also
recently) we had to use the "standard" pager variable for cell phone
number, nagios SIGSEGV'ed when using a custom contact variable
(addressx) for the purpose.

Lastly, we entered into some strange template land by following the
advice in

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/oncallrotation.html

Which suggests that one timeperiod can _use_ another (bob-on-call
definition). I don't believe this is true (any more?), this section of
the documentation should be eliminated.

Solaris/SPARC, 3.0rc1.

Best regards,
Steffen Poulsen