Difference in CPU time with and without ePN

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Jan 10 13:07:17 CET 2008

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:

>>> For me the benefits is definitely worth the downsides.
>>>
>> You're not alone. Just be aware that some systems see enormous
>> leaks when embedded perl is used. I was curious to know what
>> your specs were, as you would definitely have noticed if you
>> were suffering from the huge kind of leaks.
>
> Was this on Linux? Older Perl release? Was it happening on all Perl
> plugins or only on some of them?

It was on a plethora of different systems, with an equal large amount
of different versions of just about everything. In general, I think
FreeBSD (and the other BSD's, I have no doubt) get hit the hardest,
but all systems I've seen so far suffer at least some from leaks.

The google-link I provided you with has 273 hits. I haven't checked
them all, but I *have* read most of the reports on nagios-users@, as
well as those on this list. HW/SW configuration seems to play a role
in how much ePN leaks, not whether it leaks at all or not.

Perhaps it's the plugins you use. Could you try adding some few
plugins that are clumsily written and don't do much of anything, perhaps?
It would be best if they randomize their return value, with roughly 33%
probability of returning OK, so as to maximize the checking frequency and
also determine if return value has any impact on the leak ratio.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

just about anything Open Source.