Difference in CPU time with and without ePN

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest thomas at zango.com
Wed Jan 9 18:07:42 CET 2008

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:
> Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>> Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:

>>> I never noticed any memory problem with the ePN and my Nagios often ran
>>> for many consecutive months without being stopped (doing SIGHUPs from
>>> time to time to update the config trough)
>>>
>>> Could you direct me to some documents of communication archives that
>>> point out the problem?
>>>
>> http://www.google.se/search?q=%2Bnagios+%2B%22embedded+perl%22+%2B%22memory+leak%22
>
>> Embedded perl leaks memory. Alot. If you have a setup where it doesn't,
>> you're pretty much unique. Look for "memory leak" or "embedded perl" in
>> the nagios-devel and nagios-users archives, apart from the link above.
>
>> Which versions of Nagios and Perl are you using? What system/hw is this
>> on? ld, glibc and gcc versions might also be interesting, as well as
>> which options you used when compiling Nagios.
>
>> If the plugins are custom ones, that could also be worth having a look
>> at. In so far as I know though, Stanley Hopcroft has been trying well
>> over a year to consign the leaks into oblivion, with some but far from
>> complete success, and the result varies heavily depending on a lot of
>> different things, all of which aren't 100% clear to anyone.
>

> Well, yesterday I had to kill and restart Nagios to make changes to Perl
> modules apply (HUP wouldn't do) and it's true that Nagios now use much
> less memory, so indeed there seems to be leaks. However with 2GiB of RAM
> it would take months (maybe more than a year) to fill up the server
> memory. I don't graph real memory usage yet (used memory minus
> cache/buffers) so I can't really tell how fast it increase, but it's for
> sure not a big deal with 2GiB.
>
> HUPs have been said to cause memory leaks as well and
> 1. In average I probably HUP Nagios 2-3 times a week.
> 2. Automated scripts probably do the same on config pulls from AD (The
> HUP only happens if the config changes, but that happens quite often)
>
> On the solutions side, you can.
>
> 1. Kill and restart Nagios instead of HUP'ing it (Why don't nagios
> execve itself on HUPs BTW?)
> 2. Monitor the Nagios process memory usage, with optionally an event
> handler for automated restarts
> 3. Schedule automated restarts every day/week/month or so
> 4. Add more memory
>
> For me the benefits is definitely worth the downsides.

Oh and I forgot to say... On the software side:

Slackware 11, Nagios 2.7, Perl v5.8.8.
GNU ld, gcc and glibc from Slackware 11 (Just like Perl btw).
Dual Xeon (+ hyperthreading) == 4 logical CPUs.

Relevant Nagios configure options:
'--enable-embedded-perl' '--with-perlcache' '--with-nanosleep'

For the plugins, I use most of those I posted in NagiosExchange (user
"dermoth"). They're all carefully written for ePN.

- --
Thomas

just about anything Open Source.