Difference in CPU time with and without ePN

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Jan 9 14:36:12 CET 2008

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:

> On 09/01/08 03:35 AM, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>> Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:
>>> This graph clearly shows that ePN is a must for any big system that rely
>>> heavily on Perl plugins. The difference you see here is caused by only
>>> 28 check out of nearly 1000.
>>>
>> Have you found a way around the memory leakage? Otherwise, I still believe
>> it's  more hassle than it's worth, and effort would be better spent to cut
>> the number of fork()'s in half by having Nagios multiplex its checks.
>
> I never noticed any memory problem with the ePN and my Nagios often ran
> for many consecutive months without being stopped (doing SIGHUPs from
> time to time to update the config trough)
>
> Could you direct me to some documents of communication archives that
> point out the problem?

http://www.google.se/search?q=%2Bnagios+%2B%22embedded+perl%22+%2B%22memory+leak%22

Embedded perl leaks memory. Alot. If you have a setup where it doesn't,
you're pretty much unique. Look for "memory leak" or "embedded perl" in
the nagios-devel and nagios-users archives, apart from the link above.

Which versions of Nagios and Perl are you using? What system/hw is this
on? ld, glibc and gcc versions might also be interesting, as well as
which options you used when compiling Nagios.

If the plugins are custom ones, that could also be worth having a look
at. In so far as I know though, Stanley Hopcroft has been trying well
over a year to consign the leaks into oblivion, with some but far from
complete success, and the result varies heavily depending on a lot of
different things, all of which aren't 100% clear to anyone.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

just about anything Open Source.