Testers Needed: New 3.x Speedups

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Fri Feb 29 00:29:09 CET 2008

I just posted new code to CVS that I would like some testers to verify.
 The CVS commits introduce new skiplist algorithms for lists that are
used for searching for objects, etc.

We've been doing some testing of Nagios 3 with 50,000 hosts/services on
a rather low end box to find performance problems.  Startup times in our
configuration (tested with the -sx command line) indicated that it took
about 4 minutes to read and process the (uncached) config files.  The
new code does the same operations in just 18 seconds, so its a huge
performance increase.

In order to ensure the new code doesn't have bugs (it affects major
portions of the logic), I'm looking for people with large/complex
configs to help verify the new code's correctness.

This can be done by doing two sets of tests - the first using binaries
from the 3.0rc3 release and the other with binaries the new CVS code.

1. Test timing of startup routines with:

time /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -sx /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg

2.  Make sure that no errors are reported and that the object counts for
each type of object (host, service, etc.) are the same for 3.0rc3 and
latest CVS code:

/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg

Please post to the list with any bugs you may encounter, or if you see
great speed improvements. :-)

FYI, the current event queue implementation has very bad performance
with large installs.  Startup timing (-sx) tests with Nagios 3.0rc3
showed it taking ~100 seconds to initially 50,000 events.  I did a bit
of testing with the new skiplist algorithm, and the event scheduling
time dropped to *1* second.  This will be implemented in a CVS commit in
a few days.

Ethan Galstad
Nagios Developer
___