New config data ids with every nagios-restart in NDO

Hüter, Florian fhueter at itnovum.de
Fri Feb 22 16:10:55 CET 2008

Hi Ethan, hi list,

I am wondering if there is any reason, why ids of every config data table (hosts, services, ...) in NDO database are changed with every nagios restart.
I looked through the source code and found that you truncate nearly all tables on nagios restart. In my opinion it would be more pretty not to truncate all the tables and fill them completely new, but to do an "INSERT INTO ... ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE ..." like it is already implemented (but not really used so far, I think).
The lines of code which would complete this solution but are missing yet are "drop all meanwhile deleted config data entries from every config data table, which are marked as inactive in nagios_objects table" after filling/updating all config data tables.

This solution has big advances in my opinion, because ids of all objects in NDO would never change and you could use them as foreign keys in any (web-)interface based on NDO.

Against this background is there any chance, that this change will be regarded in near future?

Best regards,
Florian Hueter
it-novum GmbH
Ein Unternehmen der Mehler AG

Florian Hüter
Softwareengineer

Edelzeller Straße 44
36043 Fulda

FON:            +49 (661) 103-884      (-333)
FAX:            +49 (661) 103-17884            (-334)
MAIL:           fhueter at itnovum.de
WEB:            http://www.itnovum.de

Handelsregister:                  Amtsgericht Fulda, HRB 1934
Geschäftsführer:                  Michael Kienle
Sitz der Gesellschaft:            Fulda, Deutschland/Germany
UstID-Nr:                         DE813211784
Steuernr.:                        018/225/03095

Der Inhalt dieser E-Mail ist vertraulich. Wenn Sie nicht der eigentliche Empfänger sein sollten, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender oder vernichten umgehend diese Mail. Jegliche unerlaubte Vervielfältigung oder Weiterleitung dieser Mail ist strengstens verboten.

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.