DNX Version 0.15 Released!

John Calcote john.calcote at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 05:16:18 CET 2008

I'm pleased to announce the release of the Distributed Nagios eXecutor
(DNX) version 0.15.

DNX is a modular extension of Nagios that offloads a significant portion
of the work normally done by Nagios to a distributed network of remote
hosts. DNX worker nodes execute the DNX client as a daemon service. DNX
clients register requests for work with the DNX server module. The DNX
server module is a Nagios NEB (Nagios Event Broker) plugin module, which
registers an event handler for all service checks. During the event, the
DNX NEB module indicates to Nagios that it will handle the service
check. It sends the check command to a registered worker node. A
background thread awaits result information, which the NEB module then
posts to the Nagios results queue. The DNX NEB module ensures that work
is distributed fairly and evenly among the registered DNX client hosts.

It's been a year since the release of the last version (0.13) of DNX.
The following short list highlights a few of the key features of version
0.15:

1. The dnx client daemon may now be reconfigured on the fly with a SIGHUP.
2. The dnxstats utility may be used to query and control dnx clients
remotely (warning - no security yet).
3. The dnx client and server now write log and debug information to
either STDOUT, STDERR or to files of your specification.
4. The dnx client thread pool has been completely reworked to be more
efficient.
5. The dnx client supports many new command-line options, including
overrides for configuration file options.
6. The dnx server NEB module now supports Nagios 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10,
3.0rc1 and 3.0rc2 (we'll be doing our best to stay on top of 3.x).
7. We're now creating and maintaining installable binary packages for
OpenSuSE, SLE 9/10, RedHat, Debian, and Ubuntu.
8. Complete doxygen documentation is now available for the source code.
Watch for more user-friendly doc to come soon.
9. Many unit tests have been added to help harden the code.

Binary packages are published through the OpenSuSE Build Service (OBS)
at http://build.opensuse.org <http://build.opensuse.org/>. Just search
for the keyword "dnx" at http://software.opensuse.org/search
<http://software.opensuse.org/>.

You can find out more about DNX at the DNX project web site at
http://dnx.sourceforge.net <http://dnx.sourceforge.net/>.
You can access this release at the sourceforge project page at
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/dnx <http://dnx.sourceforge.net/>.

Enjoy!
John