Service Dependency Design

Marty nagios-devel at martycombs.com
Tue Feb 5 06:03:34 CET 2008

I am having trouble understanding the design of service dependencies
within Nagios.  I thought they could be set up to operate like host
dependencies.  For example:

   Service_A is the master service.

   Service_B depends on Service_A.

   If Service_B changes state (say OK to CRITICAL) as a result of its
   dependency on Service_A, nagios would immediatly follow up with a check
   of Service_A before sending notifications about B.

That is how host dependencies work -- you receive a a single alert saying
that the router is down rather than about all 50 hosts behind the router.
However this is not true about service dependencies.

Within the nagios code (checks.c) it appears that if a service changes
state, nagios follows up with a host check, but not a service dependency
check.  Nagios only takes the last state of the master service.  If the
master service went critical immediately following its check and took down
dependent services, notifications could be sent out about all dependent
services before nagios gets back to checking the master service again.**

I want to do the same with service dependencies.  Rather than receiving
many alerts about various dependent services, I would like nagios to
notify me that the master service is down.

I want to thank nagios developers for all your hard work.  I would like to
contribute back to the group by attempting to add master service checks
immediately following state changes of dependent services, however I am
likely unaware of all the issues surrounding the design implementation of
dependent service checks.

Is there a particular developer I could contact or a discussion thread
about service dependencies and how/why they were implemented as they are
in the source?

Thank you agan for any help you can provide.

Regards,
Marty Combs

** I can provide a more detailed description of this situation we are
having if anyone needs me to.