nsca patch to do better error logging?

Kamens, Jonathan jkamens at Advent.COM
Tue Dec 16 02:48:13 CET 2008

Hi,

We were having a problem with one of the clients sending results to our Nagios server via NSCA because something between the client and the server (probably an annoying firewall) was interfering with the TCP connection and resetting it.  We were unable to diagnose this from following what was happening on the client, because as far as the client was concerned, all of the data was written to the socket successfully.  We were unable to diagnose this from following what was happening on the server, because all it was logging was "Ending connection..." without any indication of why.

To debug this particular problem as well as to make it easier to debug such problems in the future, I modified the NSCA source code to do better logging of errors like this.  It's a straightforward but useful change.  Is there any chance of getting it folded back into the master source tree, and if so, to whom should I send it?

Thanks,

[cid:image001.jpg at 01C95EF6.7287D4C0]  Jonathan Kamens
Operations Manager
Tamale RMS
Advent Software, Inc.
201 South Street, Floor 3