RFC: Nagios + AMQP

Hans Engelen engelenh at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 17:37:13 CET 2008

> 1. How this will affect speed? One of the biggest advantages if using
> messaging would be speeding up the Nagios daemon, so to what extend JMS
> would offset these gains? I'm thinking about systems that could possibly
> run hundreds (or thousands?) of checks per second, and under the current
> architecture Nagios would send check messages serially).

I don't think the effect would be all that noticeable, though I must
admit when I did my adaption I went with a native MQ mode for the
messaging layer.

The only change as I understand it for MQ at least is that you add
some JMS defenitions on top of the native MQ objects. Without having
tried it (we use native MQ for everything here) it sounds like it's
just a sort of logical link that maps a JMS compatible object
defenition to what is in reality a bog-standard MQ Queue.

On the client side you would then just use a different way of talking
to server process. Again, I briefly looked into it 2 months ago when I
posted about it and didn't go forward it.

> 2. Build/setup requirements: adding more dependencies means more work
> required to get a MOM-enabled Nagios working.

True

> 3. To what extent will this be useful? Would it be possible to implement
> some kind of JMS proxy to interact with other messaging platforms
> instead? After all JMS would really be useful only to people that
> already use a messaging platform, and I doubt there's that many among
> Nagios users. Also unlike other messaging platform AMQP is totally free
> and open.

True also but I would guess that the target audience for this would be
likely candidates to have a MOM. Or to turn the tables around, people
with environments complex enough to need a MOM would be more
interested in the advantages this messaging layer would add.

As I said before my vision on this is tainted, of all the companies I
work with every single one without exception has a Messaging platform,
some even more then one. But my vision is tainted because I work in
the financial sector and that explains why MOMs are so common to me.
(AMQP was developed or created by JP Morgan wasn't it).

Cheers,
Hans