RFC: Nagios + AMQP

Hans Engelen engelenh at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 16:16:53 CET 2008

> I would be glad to hear what others think of this idea.

I already have part of this running with success in a Production environment. That is to say the submission of passive results to nagios using (in my case) IBM MQ Series. My choice for MQ Series is simple, it is our Messaging Platform of choice where I work and as such it made sense to use it for me.

About 2 months ago I posted a similar idea which was met with ... lukewarm replies. Your wiki page however put's into words much the same (in fact exactly the same) ideas I had and in a far more structured way.

My only real concern is AMQP. Linking it to a specific messaging platform might cause problems for some people. As I said we already have a messaging platform of choice that handles a few million messages per day in our organisation (for dozens of different applications). It is also linked to other companies using SSL encrypted communication channels. In short our organistion would oppose adding a new messaging platform when one is already there and the expertise/hardware/licenses for it are also readily available.

Hence my suggestion at the time was to use one of the few standards (dare I use that word) in messaging at the moment, JMS. Contrary to what the name suggests JMS queues can be used by non-java applications too. The key is that many of the message oriented middlewares, even the proprietary ones like MQ Series, support it. This would leave the choice of MOM open to the user.

Cheers,
Hans