Date in Log File

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Apr 22 12:20:35 CEST 2008

Arno Lehmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 21.04.2008 16:29, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>> Steve Pribyl wrote:
>>> Epoch is hard to read by people.
>>>
>> People can use perl, or naglog.c (attached) to get the date in a sort-of
>> human-readable format. As soon as you start fiddling with such things
>> though, you'll find that "human-readable" means different things in
>> different parts of the world.
>
> Very true...
>
>> /*
>>  * naglog.c
>>  *
>>  * This program was written to display Nagios logs with the timestamp
>>  * translated to human-readable (European, Americans are only barely human)
>
> ... and just your usual quite direct politeless ;-)

Oops. Perhaps I should have edited it before I made it public.
It was a tongue-in-cheek comment to an american friend who had
some problems getting the nagios log displayed in timestamps.

>>  * format. Don't whine if it doesn't work for you, and don't ask me to add
>>  * support for other date-formats.
>>  *
>>  * Author: Andreas Ericsson
>>  *
>
> (I don't complain. I just notice you're a bit... rough sometimes. If
> it bothered me I could ignore your mail.)

Well, it wasn't meant for public consumption, but really, it's a oneshot
program so there wasn't room for complexity, and it (once) had to run on
on an extremely stripped down system, so perl/php/whatnot weren't really
viable options.

Ah well, I guess it was time to polish my bad-boy reputation a bit
anyways. ;-)

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se