Date in Log File

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Apr 21 16:29:50 CEST 2008

Steve Pribyl wrote:
>> Epoch time is 500000 times easier to parse from programs.
>>
> I am not going to disagree with you there.  Is there a way to get both in
> there.  I will happily write the patch it there is some agreement.

There is no agreement, since you'd have to support the current format and
whatever new format you concoct, and you need to support them by trial and
error. Since there are (for large installs), several million lines of logdata
to parse when creating fe an availability-report, slowing down logparsing
while at the same time making it more complicated is a bad idea.

> Epoch is hard to read by people.

People can use perl, or naglog.c (attached) to get the date in a sort-of
human-readable format. As soon as you start fiddling with such things
though, you'll find that "human-readable" means different things in
different parts of the world.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se