Nagios Agent mode

Steve Pribyl steve at unliketea.com
Fri Apr 4 21:56:30 CEST 2008

Good Afternoon,

Has there been any interest in building a agent mode for nagios.  Seems
like most of the pieces are already there they just need to be put
together.

The nagios server would be configured to monitor the host and services
passively and nsca would be installed an running.

The nagios agent would monitor the services local and "ping" the server
for host alive.  An important difference would be only changes in state
would be sent to the server using code from send_nsca.

I am aware of nrpe but it does not scale well in that it generates lost of
network traffic and server load as the network grows.
I am also aware of the OCP_Deamon trick, however it sends everything and
interferes with perfdata.
I have tried a using notifications with send_nsca instead of mail with
little success.
I event developed a POC check_nsca plugin, that wraps other plugins and
forwards them to the server, similar to check_nrpe.

I am very interested in taking this up if there is interest.  I have
experience in C,C++ and writing systems monitoring software on oodles of
platforms(I can elaborate off list for those interested).

Thanks
Steve

just about anything Open Source.