Nagios3.0b4 : shutdown after a few minutes

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Fri Sep 28 14:52:53 CEST 2007

These are the symptoms of Nagios segfaulting.  The process dies, but the
status file remains behind, so the CGIs think everything is fine.

Can either or you run the unstripped nagios binary (as a foreground
process) under gdb, like so:

gdb --args /path/to/unstripped/nagios /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg

Type 'r' in gdb to start the program running.  When it segfaults you
should be able to use 'bt' to get a backtrace.  Send me that output, as
it will help me solve the problem.

hindrek murdsalu wrote:
> I've also noticed some strange behavior, like Nagios PID not existing in
> processes or any other nagios related processes running when doing ps
> axfu | grep nagios (save for the grep itself) while it seems to display
> everything on the webinterface. When I for example request to schedule a
> service/host check, it won't commit of course. Reloading can't kill the
> old PID, starts regardless but soon the processes drop again.
>

>> Hi, I upgraded Nagios 3b3 to 3b4 this morning and Nagios shutdown
> after a few minutes.Let me know if I can help because I don't have any
> message in the logs, I don't know what I can send.
>> I switched back to nagios 3b3 and it works now. (Well it's not
> production, but a kind of :) -- L.B.
>> -

Ethan Galstad,
Nagios Developer