Services check and unreachable host status

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Sep 27 14:07:26 CEST 2007

Gabes Jean wrote:

>> Is there a way to put service in state UNKNOWN (and do not make the
>>  check) when the host is in an UNREACHABLE state?
>>

>>> No there isn't, and that would be lying, basically, since the
>>> services aren't actually working when the host serving them is
>>> down.
>
> Yes, but the contacts know that the server is down so the services
> are down too. When I know that the server is down, I don't care about
> services for the moment. I don't think I've got service that can be
> up when host is unreachable. I think I'll make the change and test
> it. This can help me to see only few errors, but real errors (so when
> the service is down, it's not about unreachability, but the service
> is really down).

That's an option, ofcourse, but it sounds to me as if you really should
be patching the GUI files to hide services that are on hosts that are
down. That way you should get what you want while maintaining report
correctness.

>> I can try to patch, the main service function seem to be the
>> run_service_check (base/check.c), isn't it?
>>

>>> You will need to add your patch after the state-change detection
>>> logic has been applied in reap_service_checks(), which will force
>>> the host check to run only if a service changes state.
>
> Yes, I think about patch the :
> temp_service->last_hard_state=temp_service->current_state; into:
> temp_service->last_hard_state=STATE_UNKNOWN;
>
> in the function reap_service_checks, line 1183 (Nagios 2.5)

I still think the presentation layer would be a better place to alter
this, but hey, it's opensource, so go wild and good luck ;-)

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se