Extremely bad performance when enabling process_performance_data on Solaris 10?

Steffen Poulsen step at tdc.dk
Thu Sep 27 13:25:47 CEST 2007

Hi,

We are trying to add graphs to our nagios installation using
nagiosgrapher, and we would now like to enable the
process_performance_data in nagios.cfg to allow for performance data to
be sent to our graphing server, using udp.

We have tried various of doing this, invoking perl on udpsend.pl, using
epn (the embedded perl compiler) and compiling udpecho.c.

udpecho.c is the fastest of the set, but still performance is alarming:
only 4 (four!) passive checks were now processed per second, everything
grinded to a halt and we had to disable process_performance_data again.
We now have ~5000 services reporting in using NSCA, so we need another
kind of performance.

We expect that others have probably ran into this issue as well and we
are eager to hear how other people solved it?

It seems it doesn't matter which command is run, it can be a no-op
script - as soon as any command is set, processing "halts".

We are running Nagios 3b03 and the hardware platform is a Sun T1000
(should be reasonably up to date,
http://www.sun.com/servers/coolthreads/t1000/).

If there is no imminent patch for the above issue, perhaps it is a
possibility to redirect performance data output to a file and have an
external process read from it? (while readline, send udp). Any existing
solutions to this end?

All inputs are appriciated - if we are on the wrong track using Sun hw
for Nagios and we would be better of on i386, please let us know.

Best regards,
Steffen Poulsen