Nagios 3 Performance Monitoring

Hendrik Bäcker andurin at process-zero.de
Fri Oct 26 21:51:05 CEST 2007

Hi Andreas,

thanks for your answer.

Andreas Ericsson schrieb:

> Are you using embedded perl? If so, turn that off.

Ooops. I followed your thread about ePN but was surprised that I didn't
switch it off.

It's done now.

>> After the beginnings of the latency the graph seems to see no end. It
>> goes up to 700 seconds for my fifth instance, I guess it will increase
>> if I hadn't restartet the nagios process.
>>

> Run it for just one instance. If you're debugging something, it doesn't
> make sense to run it on a resource-starved system.

Of course you're right, after stopping the first three instances latency
of five went down and throughput of host/service checks went up immediately.

But it doesn't explain exactly why the performance goes down after hours
of running time, does it?

IMHO, performance issues are ok shortly after startup until all things
are organized internally, but why should s.th. work for hours and then
breaks down? (I know, this question is like philosophy)

>> My idea is, that after a while the data structure for stats reaches a
>> amount that will take too much time for update and therefor the
>> execution time increases.
>
> In C, data structures are constant size, so it's a bit unclear what you
> mean by this.

I'm not a C professional... but after reviewing the stats code in
utils.c I'm sure: That looks safe.

To whom it may concern:
The struct check_stats only safes the check statistics for 11 different
check types for the last 15 elements (updated only every minute) to
genereate 1/5/15 minute check statistics.

Until a new idea I wait until tomorrow what the disabling of ePN will do
with my graphs.

Regards,
Hendrik