Nagios 3.0 hanging (10/23 CVS)

Shad L. Lords slords at lordsfam.net
Wed Oct 24 16:51:55 CEST 2007

>> In total, Nagios leaks about 0.8MiB / second on your system when valgrind
>> is
>> running. Quite astonishing, really. Try without embedded perl. It should
>> plug
>> the worst leak, and the rest shouldn't be enough for you to notice
>> between
>> restarts.
>
> One other thought as well - If you set "use_large_installation_tweaks"
> to 1, set it back to zero.  When enabled, this option will make child
> processes (i.e. host/service checks) not free memory before they exit.
> The Linux kernel frees this memory if not done explicity/properly by the
> code, and its more efficient at doing it.  However, the BSD kernel may
> act a bit differently and not free memory, which could cause a memory
> leak.

I do have use_large_installation_tweaks set to 1.  We have a very large
installation and will need this eventually.  I've been running valgrind
overnight with embedded perl and have had no issues.  The only thing it
reported were the few startup leaks.  Looks like the embedded perl is at
fault here.  Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure what embedded perl will gain us but most of our checks are home
grown perl checks.  We were getting latencies in excess of 300 seconds on
nagios 2.x so we were looking at anything we could do to speed up the
process.  Looks like embedded perl is out for now.

-Shad