Birds of a Feather session at LISA 2007, Mon Nov 12, 2007 at 8PM.

John P. Rouillard rouilj+nagiosdev at cs.umb.edu
Tue Oct 23 03:12:44 CEST 2007

Hi all:

I just wanted to mention for those going to the Large Installation
Systems Administration (LISA) 2007 conference in Dallas, there is a
Nagios/Network/System monitoring BOF on scheduled on Monday November
12th at 8PM in reunion F.

The promotional blurb is:

=============
Nagios is one of the leading open source network/service monitoring
tools. It provides a framework into which monitoring applications
written in any language can be inserted. This allows a wide variety of
monitoring applications from air conditioning units to RAID systems.

If you are:

    * already a Nagios user
    * looking for a network monitoring platform
    * use a competing platform (Zenoss, OpenNMS, HPOV)
    * have created a competing monitoring platform
    * develop a Nagios based solution

please attend and see what real world problems people are solving and
share your experiences with your platform of choice. Maybe Nagios
solution/approach can be used to solve a monitoring issue on another
platform, or vice versa.

For hard core Nagios users, share ideas on how to manage difficult
monitoring situations. Describe how you:

    * integrate nagios with other software such as:
          o trouble ticketing systems
          o document management systems (wiki's, CMS) for
          o troubleshooting procedures, or recording useful
            information trending systems (cacti, rrdtool, databases)
    * use automatic event handlers to respond to problems faster
      than humanly possible
    * correlate to try to isolate root causes of problems and
      prevent alert floods.

In addition the instructor of the Monday "Nagios in Depth" tutorial,
John Sellens, is scheduled to attend this BoF.

If somebody (Ethan, Andreas...)  would also forward this to the
nagios-users list I would appreciate it.

Thanks, and I hope to see some of you there.

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard