Checking for required elements

Shad L. Lords slords at lordsfam.net
Fri Oct 19 16:40:39 CEST 2007

I've been noticing some strange behavior with nagios 3.0b checking for
required elements.  It appears that some of the checks aren't working as
expected.  I've been trying to determine when things aren't working so I can
send some sample configs.

When setting up some hosts I noticed that if I don't have a
notification_period defined that it doesn't complain or give any warnings.
In the documentation this field is listed as required.

Also if I specify a host_groups and put in a hostgroup that doesn't exist I
get an error right after "Reading configuration data..." but it then
continues on.  At the bottom it will show total error/warnings both at 0 and
will still load.

Finally in trying to duplicate this I was trying to come up with a minimal
config and found one that would cause a Segmentation fault during checking
contacts.  Here it is:

define contact {
        contact_name                    test
        service_notification_commands   command