bug: unlocking an invalid mutex

Geert Hendrickx ghen at telenet.be
Mon Oct 15 10:11:48 CEST 2007

[Sorry for not following the thread, but you didn't Cc me ;-)]

Ethan Galstad wrote:
> It looks like the error is occurring in the pthread_mutex_unlock()
> function, which is strange.  Checking Google resulted in a couple of hits
> that make it sound like a problem in NetBSD's pthread implementation.

It's not an error in NetBSD's pthread implementation, it's an error in
Nagios.  But our pthread implementation is a lot stricter than Linux's,
which makes errors apparant that (usually) go unnoticed on Linux systems,
where they are silently ignored.

> Does the error still occur if you set "PTHREAD_DIAGASSERT='A'" before
> starting Nagios up?  Here's one article that describes how doing so
> fixed a similar error with gftp under NetBSD:

That's only a workaround, it makes libpthread ignore errors (like under
Linux) instead of aborting on them (NetBSD's default).  Yes, Nagios runs
when setting that flag, but that doesn't solve the underlying problem.

	Geert