Problem with ping-check?

Marcin Rożek marcin.rozek at am.edu.pl
Mon Oct 15 09:03:05 CEST 2007

Hello,
I'm testing Nagios 3.0b4 and sometimes i get weird notification from ping
check:

***** Nagios *****

Notification Type: PROBLEM

Service: PINGALL
Host: xxxx
Address: yyyyyy
State: WARNING

Date/Time: Sun Oct 14 12:52:38 CEST 2007

Additional Info:

PING WARNING - System call sent warnings to stderr Packet loss = 0%, RTA =
2.42 ms

Why is that notification being sent? 2 minutes after that i get next e-mail:
***** Nagios *****

Notification Type: RECOVERY

Service: PINGALL
Host: xxxx
Address: yyyyyy
State: OK

Date/Time: Sun Oct 14 12:54:38 CEST 2007

Additional Info:

PING OK - Packet loss = 16%, RTA = 3.07 ms

Why is packet loss 0% and RTA = 2.42ms not ok. and packet loss 16% and RTA =
3.07ms is ok.?
I've set warning threshold of packet loss to 60% and RTA to 1000 ms.

Regards,
Marcin