Additive inheritance and canceling inheritance issues

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sat Oct 13 19:00:04 CEST 2007

Shad L. Lords wrote:
> Following up on my previous message about additive inhereritance it appears
> that it only applies to the first used instance.  Here is an example config
> that fails.  There also appears to be an issue with canceling inheritance.

[ somewhat bizarre configuration axed out ]

> Hope this helps track down some potential issues,

To be perfectly honest, I've always felt it overly complicates the nagios config
parsing code to even allow templates to have templates. For really large
networks, where they'd obviously be of most use, it's no great chore to copy
and paste one and then modify the variable that you want to alter.

That being said, it looks as if you've run into a bug that nobody has noticed
since february 5 of this year, when Ethan added 'Support for "additive" string
inheritance'.

I'm not sure how many people use this feature in an inheritance chain like you
do, and as I personally don't really see the use for it, I'd rather spend my time
on other things. I've got some config-parsing patches brewing in my head though,
and it's possible one of them will fix this issue in passing. For now, I think you should
probably stick to using a single template, and add more templates as you go along.
I'm not a great fan of testing every bizarre configuration users might come up with,
and I think Ethan feels the same, so when you're trying some really exotic stuff and
it happens to not work, you're kinda on your own.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se