Service Dependency Time Periods

Shad L. Lords slords at lordsfam.net
Mon Nov 26 19:32:38 CET 2007

> I've been trying 3.0b7 and have found a discrepancy between the
> documentation and what actually happens.
>
> In the documentation for servicedependency it states:
>
> dependency_period: This directive is used to specify the short name of the
> time period during which this dependency is valid. If this directive is
> not
> specified, the dependency is considered to be valid during all times.
>
> What actually happens is if you don't define a dependency_period is that
> the
> servicedependency is never valid.

I may have jumped the gun a little here.  What actually appears to be
happening is when the service is in a soft state checks are sneaking
through.  It may still be related to time but I'm no longer sure of that.
What is happening though is the following.

Service B depends on Service A.
Both are on same host and host is up.
Service B should dependency is defined with execution check of w,u,c,p.
Both are in Pending status (clean initial start).
Service A goes to Unknown.
Before service A goes to a hard state Service B gets checked.

I would think that with Service A's hard state being either U or P (can you
have a hard P state?) that service B shouldn't be checked.  I originally
though this was related to timeperiods because when I change timeperiods it
didn't occur.  However by the time I restarted after making the change
Service A had transitioned to a hard U.

-Shad