ndo2db oracle development

David Schmidt david.schmidt at univie.ac.at
Thu Nov 22 10:59:05 CET 2007

Hello,

Well, I was trying to mail Nathan directly via his website contact
form but upon submitting an error occurred > "You don't have
permission to access /contact/query.php on this server."
I am subscribed to the nagios-devel mailinglist because I read that
ndo2db is about to become a part of the nagios core. If I am wrong
here I sincerily apologize.

I am working at the university of vienna and we heavily use Nagios for
server monitoring.
Recently I have been assigned the task to enhance ndo2db to support
oracle databases.

I reached a point where I have to change code outside of "#ifdef
USE_ORACLE" blocks and would like to ask for your opinion on how to
format things.

The problem I am having is that certain SQL statements uses are not
ORACLE compatible.

e.g.:
MySQL >> INSERT INTO TBL_NAME SET col1=val1, col2=val2, ...
This statement is not understood by Oracle which only accepts INSERT
statements of the form >> INSERT INTO TBL_NAME (col1, col2, ...)
VALUES (val1, val2, ...)

Another thing would be the numerous "INSERT ... ON DUPLICATE KEY ..."
statements beeing used in ndo2db. This kind of statement can not be
used by ORACLE Databases and has to be rewritten using the SQL "MERGE
INTO" Statement.

Do you have any idea in mind how to simplify porting of such databases
specific statements? Because I would really like to see my changes
become part of the ndo2db source and I suppose chances increase if you
are kind of supervising critical design steps.

Sincerily

David Schmidt

ps: There is a thread about ndo2db oracle in german >>
http://www.nagios-portal.de/forum/thread.php?threadid=7140