NRPE upgrade question / more than one kb output

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Nov 21 19:13:09 CET 2007

Steffen Poulsen wrote:
>> [mailto:nagios-devel-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net] På vegne
>> af Andreas Ericsson
>> Steffen Poulsen wrote:
>>> If anybody knows if there is a spec for the NRPE protocol
>> available, we would like a pointer to it.
>>
>> It's in the code. If you've got the brains to change it,
>> you've got the brains to read it.
>
> Thanks for the trust in us :-)

You're welcome ;-)

> We did try our first efforts, but from our reading the source it seems
> the NRPE protocol/current implementation expects fixed size messages
> which didn't make much sense to us as a design choice - we will give it
> another glance.

It does send fixed size messages. Once upon a time, such an implementation
made tons of sense, because it made it possible to get the code out in
the open quickly, and it was a lot easier than doing it with arbitrarily
sized buffers, especially since Nagios didn't (back then) accept plugin
input above 1024 bytes anyways.

Good luck in your endeavours though.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se