NSCA bottleneck / NSCA Timestamp

Gerd Mueller gmueller at netways.de
Tue Nov 20 12:51:07 CET 2007

Hi Thomas,

> While I don't have the final word, I really think this would be a good
> idea. I think the best would be to keep full backwards-compatibility
> while having an additional send_nsca switch to enable timestamps (would
> add a required "<timestamp>[TAB]" in front of the other arguments passed
> via STDIN). A compatible NSCA server would detect the timestamp (Not
> sure how data in transfered, so I'll leave specific implementation
> details to you) and use it for Nagios processing.

I would alter both client (send_nsca) and the daemon itself (nsca). I am
thinking of a simple "-t" like "cat host-results | send_nsca -t -H
foo.bar -c ...

> On a side note, you can have near-realtime processing without much
> overhead with the Perl OCP_Daemon I wrote:
>
> http://www.nagioscommunity.org/wiki/index.php/OCP_Daemon

Hm, I know it but I think there is no need for it. As mentioned above I
am using the same nagios config parameters than you. But I am using a
simple flat file with the "a" option. And with the help of the
host_perfdata_file_processiong_interval and the
host_perfdata_file_processiong_command I send this over via send_nsca.

Cheers,

Gerd

> - --
> Thomas

Gerd Mueller
Senior Consultant

NETWAYS GmbH | Deutschherrnstr. 47a | D-90429 Nürnberg
Tel: +49 911 92885-0 | Fax: +49 911 92885-33
GF: Julian Hein | AG Nürnberg HRB18461

http://www.netways.de | gmueller at netways.de