nsca and nrpe2 syslog facility

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Tue Nov 20 04:51:47 CET 2007

nsca.c @ line 134 of 1450

  openlog("nsca",LOG_PID|LOG_NDELAY,LOG_DAEMON);

  prototype: void openlog(const char *ident, int logopt, int facility);

We should probably make that a config-file defined variable.  At the
*very* least, a GNU autoconf compile-time configure option -> #DEFINE

Default syslog.conf(5)'s everywhere are going to split the destination
into a variety of files (because of priorities), which is insanely
annoying.

Most big shops end up using syslog-ng and filter on program:

   filter f_prog_nrpe { program("nrpe"); };

Then we can route it out to destinations regardless of priorities before
fall-back facility.priority(*) wildcard gets caught.

For example, there's only one or two LOG_DEBUG's, but the config file
only defines a boolean log statement.

~BAS