NSCA bottleneck / NSCA Timestamp

Gerd Mueller gmueller at netways.de
Mon Nov 19 18:09:58 CET 2007

Hi list,

as many time before again I suffered from the NSCA bottle neck in
Nagios. It's not new that NSCA can cause huge latency. Ton already
mentioned this in his blog
(http://altinity.blogs.com/dotorg/2006/11/caching_nsca_da.html).

At my last project my workaround for this problem was to use the
service_perfdat_file for caching and every 10 seconds the
service_perfdata_file_processing_command to transfer this cached data to
the master via one nsca call. This approach reduces/solves the latency
problem. @Ton: with this approach there should be no need of any caching
script and should work for hosts and services, or am I missing
anything?

Since nsca doesn't transfer any timestamps the reporting will not be
correct at the master site! Ok, these 10 seconds delay isn't a big issue
but I wonder why doesn't nsca transport the original timestamp?

Because I would like the reporting to be as accurate as possible I would
like to patch nsca. If changing nsca to include the timestamp would be
worthwhile and there is any change for this patch to become part of nsca
I write this patch.

So anybody interested in this patch or any comments to this problem?

Cheers,

Gerd

--
Gerd Mueller
Senior Consultant

NETWAYS GmbH | Deutschherrnstr. 47a | D-90429 Nürnberg
Tel: +49 911 92885-0 | Fax: +49 911 92885-33
GF: Julian Hein | AG Nürnberg HRB18461

http://www.netways.de | gmueller at netways.de