Nagios active check performance limits

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sat Nov 10 11:43:49 CET 2007

Gaspar, Carson wrote:
> After sending this I discovered the joy of the new 3.x parameter
> use_large_installation_tweaks...
>
> Nagios is now eating all 4 of my processors, as requested. I'm not sure
> _why_, as without this setting my server was practically idle...
>
> I'm now seeing about 13.5 checks/sec, much closer to what I expected.
>
> Of course passive checks are processed at 1052/sec, at <25% CPU (which is
> why I use them!)

Well, reading a line of text will always be a lot cheaper than forking and
running the program that produces that line of text in addition to also
reading the line of text.

It would be possible to increase the number of checks Nagios is capable of
doing by rewriting the command execution engine to multiplex the checks
directly rather than using the multi-fork() dogma of today, but it's a huge
core modification and fairly complex, so I haven't bothered so far.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se